I’ve always loved flipping furniture, it’s something I’ve learned from my mom over the years. Finding an ugly or outdated piece of furniture and turning into something special, while also saving money by not purchasing something brand new, is always rewarding.

I originally bought this set of dressers along with a headboard from a thrift store in Georgia for only $100. They looked like they came straight out of the 70s, but I loved the clean lines and simplicity. Brown dresserI painted them brown, added new knobs, and a decorative wood applique I found at Lowe’s that matched the design on the headboard. I loved these dressers and have used them for the past 4 years, but Josh has been asking that I redo them ever since we got married. I decided when we moved that it would be the perfect time to give the dressers a makeover.

I love to use chalk paint when I’m painting furniture, mainly because there is not a lot of prep work involved. Usually I do some light sanding just to smooth the surface andFullSizeRender allow for the paint to stick well. Then I wipe the piece down with a damp cloth to remove any dust and it’s ready for paint! In this case I removed the applique that I previously added so I had to do a little more sanding to make sure the surface was smooth and you wouldn’t be able to tell where it was after painting. I’ve tried many different kinds of chalk paint, I’ve even made my own with a recipe I found on Pinterest using Plaster of Paris. Some I like more than others, but I’m always trying to save money and experiment with nFullSizeRender(3)ew paints to see if there is another brand out there that works great for a cheaper price. Josh told me that Valspar came out with their own version of chalk paint at Lowe’s, so we decided to try it out for this project. Sadly I was extremely disappointed with the quality of the paint. It took forever to dry and remained streaky even after three coats and according to the reviews on the Valspar website a lot of people had the same issues. I’ve never had to apply three coats of chalk paint when using other brands and will being doing a little more research next time before I try a new brand. I deFullSizeRender(4)finitely would recommend not wasting your time or money ($30 a quart) on this paint. Luckily I had some Blackberry House paint left over from a previous project that I hoped would cover better. It was not the exact color I wanted, but with only one coat the dressers looked perfect! The great thing about Blackberry House paint is that after 8-10 days it cures to a hard finish so it does not require a protective top coat like wax or polyurethane. That’s probably my favorite aspect of the paint, because it means less steps for me! The color is Home Cooked Bread and is a little creamier than the original color I wanted, but Josh and I both ended up loving the final color!

We chose an antique english drawer pull from knobdeals.com (they have great options for great prices) evIMG_3305en though Josh was very hesitant about any gold in our bedroom. Next we drilled all the holes for the new handles. This was a job I needed Josh’s help with because I suck at measuring and making sure it’s all even and aligned correctly. He’s a lot more meticulous than I am so I knew it would look a whole lot better if he did it. He also had to measure out a lot of new holes because originally the dresser did not have handles on all the drawers, they have a small cut out either on the top or bottom to pull them out. Josh has always hated that aspect because sometimes the drawers will stick and they are hard to open. We decided that we would add handles to every drawer to make opening and closing easier. After all the holes were drilled, I screwed in the handles, wiped the dressers down and they were done!

Here are the final photos:



We are both extremely pleased with the final outcome of this furniture flip! If you have a piece that needs some TLC we can help, just head over to Saxon’s Deep South Woodworks for more information! Check back soon for more home renovation updates and other DIY projects!